In our ongoing case against Career Education Corp. and Western Culinary Institute/ Le Cordon Bleu Portland, we’re continuing our work on the appeal. Background here.

There is an interesting development that may or may not be related. We’re hearing occasional reports that Sallie Mae may be upping its collection activities.

Sallie Mae recently sued a family from the Southern California culinary school in court. We also know that Sallie Mae has been contacting WCI/Le Cordon Bleu Portland students about outstanding balances.

The team is on the lookout for cases in which Sallie Mae has filed a collection lawsuits in court against Western Culinary/Le Cordon Bleu-Portland graduates.  If Sallie Mae starts to sue Oregon culinary students in Oregon court, we want to hear about it. It could have major impact on our case and help many, many graduates of Western Culinary/Le Cordon Bleu Portland.

So this is a bit of a reach out to WCI/Le Cordon Bleu-Portland graduates: If you are sued in a collections case by Sallie Mae, please call or contact us immediately. While it would certainly be a frightening prospect if Sallie Mae sues, it may provide us with significant opportunities.

If you are sued, it is very important that you act act quickly upon receipt of the papers. Usually we have 30 days from the date you are served within which to file an appearance. So that would make quick action important.

Because of the importance of this issue, feel free to circulate this to other graduates of Western Culinary Institute/Le Cordon Bleu Portland who are facing collections from Sallie Mae.

Meanwhile, we continue our work on the case against CEC. They may have slowed down the process, but we remain confident that they will face their day of reckoning.

David Sugerman

This entry was posted in Career Education Corp, consumer alert, David Sugerman, Oregon class action attorney, Oregon consumer attorney, trade school, Western Culinary Institute. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sallie Mae collections against Western Culinary Institute/Le Cordon Bleu Portland students?

1. Lisa says:

Hey David!

Thanks for the update. My loans thru Sallie Mae are currently on deferment as I had to return to school to get a degree I could use…

Anyways, I know when I went thru the process of deferment they gave me a little bit of hassle claiming certain forms weren’t submitted. I still receive mail from them once to twice a month telling me to sign up online.. Plus the email saying the same thing.

I’m very thankful you’ve taken this case on, however I’m beginning to think I’ve been stuck with a 26k dollar bill for a phantom fraudulent degree. I sure hope our day of justice comes quickly!

2. Kendell Stiles says:

26k seems pretty reasonable to my 49k Lisa. I sure hope this gets taken care of soon. Sallie Mae reps basically scalded and yelled at me telling me I decided to take out the loans and that I would have to continue paying even though the school is being sued for fraud on these student loans. I even faxed them the letter David write for us to submit to them with no avail. I would sure love to be rid of these so I could start living my life!

Thanks for your hard work David!

3. Devon Blackburn says:

I would like to make sure that I’m included in these proceedings as a graduate of Western culinary/ Le Cordon Bleu Portland. I started school in Nov. 2009 and graduated in Feb 2011. If any onther info from me is need this post has my email attached.

4. admin says:

Please contact our office privately. Best bet is to call us at 503.228.6474.

5. Gary says:

Hi David,
    student assistance foundation has bought my loan and has me on forbearance every six months. They said interest still incures while payments aren’t being met. Is this ordinary? Thanks.

Gary

6. admin says:

I don’t know. Suggest you talk to a lawyer who represents debtors and who understands student loans in your state.

7. Scott Dille says:

August of 2007, I attended WCI in Portland, Or. and after six months of accelerated classes I owed $37,000 and was not loaned any more $ to complete my phantom degree. Detriment to my credit, I have dropped from an 800 to a 575 in 6 years. I obtained good grades but, they promised financing and backed out midway through the program. Does this scenario sound like I could be involved in the class action?

8. admin says:

Please contact us privately to discuss.

9. Tim Eckard says:

There needs to be some recourse for me.. I signed a variable interest rate which I was told would never go above 1 to 2%. It is 13.8% and my original loan amount of 32k is now 50k. 500k paid over the life of the loan when all is said and done. I graduated in 06 I believe. Can I get involved? Please advise

10. admin says:

We don’t give legal advice on the blog. Suggest you call us to see if you are in the class.

11. Akani Gilman says:

I wud like to knw if will get anything bak I grad in 2011

12. admin says:

No. You are not covered by the case. Suggest you hire a lawyer privately.